Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Germinating Idea

I started working on a idea for another epic fantasy trilogy. This one is still in the character-sketch phase. I have no plot. I just have characters. What's different for me is that this is a group of people, not just one person. Both of my previous books really only have one main character.

With this novel, I hope to do the some things that are different. For example, I want to write a love story between two people in their 60s. Why should the 20 and 30 year olders have all the great love stories? I'll also have parents and children involved in the same quest. Oh, and grandparents. This story involves people from 60 to 16. There will be a prophesy. There will be gypsies, tinkers and knights. Yes, it's a medieval fantasy, something else I have not done in ages. (No elves, though.) I'm thinking of an eastern European-type setting. Lots of brooding castles.

However, before I write this novel, I have to finish Starcaster. Then I have two other novels I want to write, and then a mystery (possibly paranormal) set in ancient Rome. So unless this idea really starts to excite me, it's pretty far down on my list of things to write.

6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a love story between people in their 60s. Like you say, why shouldn't they get their chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This idea is very hazy right now, but that was one thing I definitely want. Of course, it will be tragic . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you ever feel like you're moving in slow motion as you try to complete one book idea so you can move to the next and the ideas keep coming?

    I'm probably one of the odd ones. I combat this by NOT writing! I play with my cats! Speaking of which, I managed to hold a few of the 3 week old foster kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it sounds like you've got enough to keep you busy for a while. They all sound really interesting, too. I wish I could trade places with you--instead of overflowing with ideas, my brains been devoid for months. I'm comin' back, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gone through periods like that. Even worse are periods like now, where I can't settle on an ending that I like for my novel. I know the big picture ending, but I just can't make it work. I've taken some time off to read rather furiously. Reading often helps stir up the idea pot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate when you can't find the next step to get where you need to go in your writing. I'm at that point right now in my novel. I have to raise the stakes and force the heroine to actively pursue her goal, but I have no idea how to do it.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a spammer, your comment will be removed, so please don't bother.