Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Busy Writing

When I'm not posting here, you can bet your bippy that I'm writing. I've been feverishly writing a short story--which I usually don't do. However, I'm quite excited about this one. It's called "Spin" and it's derived from the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. It has inspired other fairy-tale based stories. So far I have ideas for Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White and The Little Mermaid. Can you tell I have a little girl? However, these are not children's stories.

I think I've finally learned how to write a short story. "Spin" has had some very positive feedback from my critique group. I'm thrilled!

I've updated my Forging a Legend website with the excerpt that I sent to the novel contest in January. Someone sent me an email from the site, pointing out some possible problems with my old excerpt, so I figured I'd better get my tush in gear and update my website. Therefore, I have done so.

Now I need to visit some of my blog buddies.

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Tia! I love twists on fairy tales. I've wanted to do something based on the Little Mermaid (the Hans Christian Andersen version, not the Disney one) for a long time now. And now you're getting ideas stirred up in my head! Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much in mind for that one. The next one I want to write is based on Snow White. I do some unexpected things with the prince and the Magic Mirror. Should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tia,

    Good luck with the contest. Twisting fairy teales is very popular right now. I was at a conference today with Jessica Day George and Mettie Harrison who have both done really well with that. Shannon Hale too. I recently bought the volume of all the stories of The Brothers Grimm, and their are some doozies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I hope I can get it submitted in time to write the crest of popularity. I revised it again today and reached that dangerous point where I know I need to leave it alone for a few days. Which is a good thing, because I can tackle it again late in the weekend and start submitting next week.

    Waiting with bated breath for feedback on it from one of my author buddies . . .

    ReplyDelete

If you are a spammer, your comment will be removed, so please don't bother.