in no particular order
- The god's god - a mysterious entity who sets into motion a game among the gods.
- Abriel - Divorced woman of antiquity who seems to be the perfect candidate for the divine contest. Has a stature of heroic proportions, but might have become an artist if she had not been challenged to become a warrior.
- Verit - Abriel's patron deity. He is determined to make Abriel a winner in the divine contest -- the forger of the legend, so to speak.
- Illian - Abriel's former husband. He gets tangled up in the contest as well.
- Danor - The man Abriel loves. He wants nothing to do with any of the gods, and his and Abriel's religious differences provides some major conflict.
- Naria - Abriel's first sword mentor. A cranky thirtysomething spinster with secret desires in her heart.
- Rendell - Abriel's protogee, a young boy of about eighteen.
- Leordis - The current favorite as winner in the divine contest. Self-made king of Hull. A combination of Alexander the Great, Hercules and Adonis. Larger-than-life. Seems unbeatable.
- Thesk - A god with a fanatical following who takes an interest in Abriel.
- Ysande - Abriel's closest friend. She has an unusual skin condition.
- Loqui - Abriel's second sword mentor.
- Yevin - A man who comes into Abriel's life and makes an unexpected impact.
- Eddis - A cringing priest of Thesk who will do anything for him - or so Thesk thinks.
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants