Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

When in Doubt, Throw Yourself a Curve

I was writing the other day, feeling a bit spiritless, when I decided to throw a curve at my character, Karen. I made her take a plane trip with a demon. Not just any demon--an arch-demon; one she'd been warned against, and one she will have to "prepare herself" for before she can attempt to exorcise it.

Yup. I have an exorcist in my story. I sure didn't see that coming when I first started it. The New Testament can be excellent story fodder if you let it!

I wrote this scene after-the-fact, when she just got off the plane and met up with Max. But of course, I'm going to have to go back and write that scene on the airplane. It will be one of those corporate jets, so there will only be about six to eight people on board. And naturally, he will taunt her.

His name is Armonde. I know demons usually have names like Azrael, but I figure if I'm going to have angels named Leroy and Butch, then a demon named Armonde is perfectly acceptable.

I'm modeling my arch-demon after the demon in the movie Fallen. Somewhat. Since my story is based on New Testament-style exorcisms, lots of changes will be in order. And that's a good thing because I wouldn't want to just make my demon a Fallen knock-off.

There's nothing like a bit of a curve to put some life back into your plot.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, this sounds very cool. Can't wait to hear more!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Curveballs in plots are so much fun. In my last completed novel first draft, I had a character who I'd intended to be a villain turn out to be the hero of the book! And I've never written a character I loved so much, or had so much fun writing.

    Anyway, good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a neat curve. {SMILE} I hope the rest of your nevel turns out as nice as it sounds. {SMILE}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete

If you are a spammer, your comment will be removed, so please don't bother.